3 Common Types of Insurance in Film Production

U.S. Risk

3 Common Types of Insurance in Film Production

Producing movies and television is an exciting art, but its chaotic nature can lead to numerous risks and hazards on a film set. Therefore, producers and other leaders often invest in numerous types of insurance coverage. While each insurance plan is customized depending on the production and other factors, there are some types of coverage that are consistently present.

General Liability

This coverage includes all potential dangers on set to actors, crew and other parties. U.S. Risk names some of the most common occupational hazards on a production.

  • Falling equipment
  • Electrocution 
  • Pyrotechnic and fire-related dangers
  • Tripping points (cables and ropes)
  • Vehicle collisions 
  • Lacking/missing safety measures

Physical risks can be overlooked, especially in larger productions. A comprehensive insurance program can protect people from these factors and more.

Errors and Omissions

Since filmmaking involves working with intellectual property (IP), it sometimes means there can be accusations of plagiarism, invasion of privacy, unauthorized use of plots and characters, etc. This type of insurance protects companies against these lawsuits and clears productions from potential IP violations.

Property and Equipment

The risky nature and hazards on a film set mean that owned and rented equipment can get stolen, damaged or destroyed. This coverage protects insurance holders from these incidents and their monetary cost.

The creation of film and television is a unique artistic endeavor that involves unique exposures. Insurance that accounts for both general areas and specifics ensures productions go smoothly with minimal disruption or delay.