Now that the days are beginning to get longer and the weather starting to get a little warmer for some, it’s time to start thinking about spring and what we need to do around the house (at least we hope that this is the case). And whether or not spring arrives on time, here are a few tips for you homeowners intended to help you to get ready for the warmer months ahead.
Getting the house ready for spring
Although everyone thinks of cleaning when it comes to spring, some houses may be in need of repair, and while the weather here in Orlando has been anything but fierce, we know that there are a number of things you can do to make sure your home is ready when the weather in Florida changes, however slightly. This is also a good time to review your Orlando insurance for your home and make any necessary changes to your policy. Below is a selection of maintenance tasks from the National Center for Healthy Housing:
- Check to make sure your roof’s shingles are in good condition
- Check your attic for any possible roof leaks that should be repaired
- Look for signs of peeling paint and do the necessary repair and/or touch up as needed
- Check for signs of leaks at window and doorsills and use caulking or weather stripping to properly seal
- Clean your dryer vent and make sure exhaust ducts are clear of lint
- Make sure there are no puddles or wet spots in your basement or crawlspace
- Look for signs of infestation (rodents, roaches, termites, etc.) and call an exterminator if you notice animal droppings
- Clean your gutters and downspouts and replace any that are broken or damaged
- Clean air conditioner coils and drain pans and replace filters in your air conditioner and dehumidifier
- Check and replace the batteries your home’s smoke and carbon monoxide alarms, and
- Store winter heaters, ensuring that liquid-fuel heaters are completely emptied
Your home is likely one of the most valued possessions you own and you owe it to yourself to keep it in tiptop condition. If your home requires any major repairs this is the time to contact your Orlando insurance agent and get the problem properly addressed.